Wednesday 4 May 2011

May the 4th be with you

That's right everybody, it's Star Wars day!

This time as well for some added pointlessness there's been some kind of countdown to the day on starwars.com, indicating some new announcement. Please God don't be any more films.

But does Star Wars deserve this kind of attention? For a start I'm a fan of the first 3 films, and by first I mean initial, parts 4, 5 and 6. All except 6 are older than I am, but there is still something about them that makes them classic films, if I had to choose I'm more of a trek than a wars fan, but you can't deny the quality here.

Then there's the prequals... why? Apart from the last half hour or so of the third an absolute waste of time. I mean honestly, what the fuck is jaja binks? (or however you spell it).

I do feel over the years the franchise has been pushed to absolute breaking point, the new films were blatant cashing in on popularity, and as a money making exercise they worked. The original films have been reworked and changed and remastered and god knows what so many times, banged in a box and released it just leaves a bitter taste on times. Yes, that includes the Family Guy efforts.

And now this announcement today, if there is one, what is it? Remake? More films? I hope not!More cartoons, more likely. Some crap remastered new boxset, seems most possible. Either way can't see me buying it. But it probably will be what ever Lucas thinks he can make the most money out of at the moment.

I just hope (a new hope, get it??) he starts seeing it as a body of work not a cash point. Although I don't begrudge Mark Hamill the cash as he never really worked again did he. Poor bloke, especially when you think Harrison Ford did so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment