Tuesday 31 May 2011

French Open

As regular readers of this blog should know (are there any?? I doubt it) I do like a bit of tennis, and at the moment we're just over half way through the 2nd Grand Slam of the year, Roland Garros (which has seemingly been re-branded with the location to be a bit more like Wimbledon). I'll be honest it's not my favourite GS, infact it's my 4th, but it's proving to be quite enjoyable this time around.

Already it could force the number one ranking to change hands. If Nadal loses at any point or Djokovic wins his Semi against Federer/Monfils, he's #1. Murray's hanging on in it after being battered for 2 sets yesterday he won the next two before the French night drew in and they pulled them off, they start again in a single set 'shoot out' (not my words) at 13:00BST, just half hour after I'm writing this! I doubt he'll win as with a tight ankle, he'll start slow, with no time to come back.

The only downside of the tournament is some of the arrangements, big games played late on with little hope of finishing (Del Po v Djok the main example). The low key start was also questionable, in Wimbeldon the defending champion starts things off, it sets a tempo from the very start, while the French kind of limped to a start.

Here's hoping Murray wins anyway, if he does he's got Chela, unseeded, in the quarters with a great chance to become the first Brit in the FO semis since... Tim Henman in 2004, ok maybe it wasn't that long ago, but a semi would help his old points total along quite nicely (720 for a last 4 spot I think, only 180 won last year), at the semi stage he'd meet Nadal, and although he's given him a good game of late, even on the dirty red stuff, I think that'd be goodnight Andy.

Wimbeldon has to be a real target for him this year, and maybe more so the US, here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment