Tuesday 3 May 2011

Championship football

Not often I hit on sport that isn't tennis but here I go.

I believe sports should be decided on the relative abilities of the sportspersons playing it, and based on what I've seen of the English 2nd tier this year (not much) QPR are the best of a not particularly amazing bunch. However, there's a distinct possibility the league will be decided on an FA decision on if they are to be docked points for a back room offence in 2009.

They signed a player but the image rights were a third parties, which after the West Ham , Carlos Tevez debacle was made illegal.

Yes, it appears they have broken the rules, but does the player ownership affect the way he plays on the pitch, the rule breach is a financial one and therefore I think so should the punishment. Yes make it significant, yes make it hurt the club, the players have played within the 'on the pitch' rules and earned promotion, this should be how that promotion is decided.

The other point is clubs who have failed to earn promotion could benefit from this, 3rd placed side Cardiff (quite local to me, but I'm not a fan by any stretch) could be elevated to 2nd place and go up. Considering how well they've played when I've seen them this doesn't seem right, particularly the way they played yesterday on Sky! There's a chance that the 4th placed side Swansea (equally as local, bit more of a fan) could pass Cardiff on the last day, but it's highly unlikely, but even though I prefer them, it wouldn't be right. I can't honestly think any of the fans of the club would want to go up essentially 'by default'.

Therefore I hope the FA punish QPR, they broke the rules and I think they'll struggle to argue that aspect of the charge, however don't decide the league on it!

Saying that I primarily support Merthyr FC, who as Merthyr Tydfil (Now Merthyr Town) avoided relegation from the Conference (what would be now National) a couple of times on technicalities in the 90s. So maybe it's OK sometimes, when it suits me!

Right Blue are about to be on the TV in the break room, so I'm off before they start trying to sing/mime.

No comments:

Post a Comment