Monday 11 October 2010

When a luxury becomes a necessity.

I have a fairly cushy life, the majority of people in the UK do (for now, the Torys aren't in full swing yet).

Yes, like with most people, I don't live in a palace, a castle etc but I have running water, more than enough food, a bed, a roof and access to healthcare. There are places on this planet where people would kill for any of them, but I/we take them for granted.

I thought I was quite grounded, until I moved home recently which resulted in a slight fall in my access to things such as TV, Internet, XBOX. These things are almost the definition of luxury, but there were times where not having these things really put my nose out. It was at this point I thought, when did these things become THAT necessary? I even have a dongle, at some expense, so I have a backup internet source (using it now!!), so just incase I'm out of wifi range, my iPhone hasn't got signal, I can still grab my spare laptop (smaller one so more portable) and check twitter http://www.twitter.com/andrewdrisc or post here.

The counter argument is we have worked hard for these luxuries and deserve them, and to be honest it's an argument I'm happy to hide behind!

I wonder whether many people of my generation could last without Sky Sports (maybe people would travel to the grounds to see sport?), without games consoles, without Facebook (which I dislike anyway) without email, IM, etc

To be honest I would probably fail horribly, but honestly I don't even want to try. If that makes me a bad person, I apologise whole heartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment