Monday 4 October 2010

Techno snobbery!

I like my gadgets, I haven't go the cash for many but I have a few. Nothing fancy, I don't almost fall over my robot dogs every time I Segway myself to answer the door, after hearing my mp3 doorbell 9but thinking about getting one of those), but I have what you'd expect, decent (i)phone, decent Laptop, games console, netbook for the train (which I'm writing from at the moment, albeit not on the train)....

I also can assure you I have certain brands I like, apple for example have been good to me with everything I've owned from them, but I've never felt the needs to ensure everyone has the same as me.

I've never been 100% sure of the motives behind this form of techno-snobbery, I have a feeling it all comes back to acceptance and the need to be in a crowd  of similar people (I need massively lacking form me) but in these instances the crowd is somewhat nerdier. Mobile phones are typically the most talked about subject like this. At the mo there are two main camps.

In the green/red corner is the Apple users, the iPhone defendants etc

In the no colour joke springing to mind corner is the Android users, in particular at the moment the Galaxy-S users.

I'm not forgetting about you blackberry users, not going to drag you in, but watch your step. Nokia users... brand loyalty isn't always a good thing ;) (I'm kidding!)

Now both camps must be happy with their respective handsets, they own them and they use them. If they didn't like them I'm certain there would be forums literally bursting with comments, and far superior blogs to this melting from the volume of hits and comments being deposited every hour. But why do the two camps have to try and convert everyone else? It's like the Sim Card (or Micro Sim, sorry apple users) crusades on times!!

Each side will generally react to any question form a neutral, seeing it as a chance to assert their authority and get them to join their side. They'll generally respond aggressively to anyone who disagrees and I've seen many a name slung around!

But why? My theory is that geeks/nerds, call us what you will, like to feel a little superior, at least some of the time, and this is an outlet! If they can convince you they have the best item and had it before you, then clearly they must be more intelligent/a better judge/know more about xxx/etc (delete as appropriate) and also their wisdom is so obvious, you've fallen into line with them. Making them a more positive spin on Patient Zero.

Or could it be they see a world where everyone has the same device as them, a world that accepts them just that little bit more. Do they see a world where everyone has an iPhone 4 as 'their' world?

It's probably something good old Jezza Kyle could have a gander at and get illegitimate children in there somewhere too (Would an iPhone be the illegitimate child of a Blackberry Storm and a iPod Touch?)

In this blog, you're not going to read my opinion of what is best, I'm an iPhone user (3GS) and I love it, doesn't mean you would, but it does what I like and does it reasonably well (Flash anyone?) and I'll chances are step up to iPhone 4 next, but what you do... couldn't give a rats arse as long as you don't whinge to me about it!

And yes, I want an iPad...

2 comments:

  1. I claim the title of 'King Techno Snob' as I do have a robot dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have one, but your far from a snob about it! You have gadgets for the love of technology, not to say, "I've got a better one than... Bob". Plus while I've had some fine fine advice from you, you've never turned into one of the mentalists "YOU MUST BUY A " types!

    ReplyDelete