Monday 18 October 2010

Return to the gym!

Tomorrow... tomorrow is going to be hard work. Tomorrow is the day I will return to the gym to begin training.

It's been a while, 6 months ago I was in quite good shape, stamina was good, could cover 10k with relative ease, could push myself considerably further, then generally things went tits up. Knee problem, appendix removal, another knee problem and I'm the size of a whale again, as if I'd never bothered training a moment in my life. (Let's face it it's not even a cute whale, like the one from Free Willy, it's a blimp of an obnoxious whale, like one of the ones what washes up on beaches and people can't get it back cos it's so heavy)

I dread to think what's going to happen once I venture back to the open plan area that is Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Centre cardio area, plus I also must to some upper body work after being absolutely embarrassing on a climbing wall this year. I'm not planning on doing anything too strenuous first time out, maybe 2 or 3 miles and a bit of rowing.

I will of course be surrounded by a strange combination that can only ever exist in a gym, lots of men who are in worse shape than me, lots of women who don't seem to actually do anything and then a few overly fit people that make us all feel bad.

Next Sunday is the always awesome Welsh Open of dodgeball and once again I'll be captaining the Hoffmeisters into action following a poor showing last time out. Don't mock, I can see your minds working dodgeball is a sport and a damn competitive one. Check it out http://www.ukdba.org/

Anyway, I'll post on my twitter feed how I've done and if I've lived. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment