Wednesday 16 March 2011

Top Spin 4

Ok, something different. I'm trying to post this via the medium of iPhone. Knowing auto correct as I do, please accept my apologies for the seemingly stupid/random typos it will contain.

Anyway, Friday is an exciting day for a tennis loving geek such as myself. It sees the release of Top Spin 4 on the 360 (other versions are available). Now of the main tennis games produced only really 2 are any good Top Spin and Virtua Tennis. It's a very similar split to Pro Evo and FIFA in that one tries to be realistic (Top Spin, FIFA) while the other is more 'arcadey'. On both sets on franchises I'm with the more realistic ones, Virtua Tennis is fun but it's just all a bit... Throwaway.

In Top Spin I like the career mode, which apparently now is even better. It plays very nice, from the demo anyway, but sadly the real player roster andcreal tornament listings are a bit sparse (no wimbeldon again :() with just as many 'legends' as current players. Thanks but I'd rather the current ones. It also includes a solitary Brit (World #5 Murray) while Virtua Tennis has 2 with the pretty random inclusion of Laura Robson. Not that I was expecting more, I hardly think the somewhat lacking talents of Jamie Baker, Richard Bloomfield or Jamie Ward deserve inclusion...

So come Friday I will wander to gameand lay my cash down for Top Spin and I'm pretty sure it'll be good fun to play. At least it will be a bit of variation from the almost unbroken run Fallout: New Vegas I'd getting in the drive at the moment.

That choice is a bit of a strange one, I never got on with Fallout 3. I don't know if it was the location didn't engage me, the game felt like a chore, or what, but I didn't like it. However, despite being a very very similar experience New Vegas has got me hooked. I find myself being careful with reputations, the setting is nice, I was genuinely looking forward to getting to Vegas itself and wasn't disappointed when I did. It's all good, well not quite all. There are still pull your hair out annoyed sections and bugs aplenty (although the major ones have been fixed) for example while repairing a powervstation HELIOS One last night I encountered a flying piece of scrap metal while seemed to be gravitationally attracted to me. I mean I'm not denying I'm a bit fat but I don't deserve my own moon!!

Anyway, once I done with New Vegas I may venture back to 3. Maybe now I'm familiar with the game more it'll click a bit better, but chancescare it won't.

Top Spin first anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment