Tuesday 15 March 2011

Social Networking!

As I've mentioned previously I'm a member of a few Social Networking sites, namely Facebook and Twitter (I'm sure my MySpace account still exists, still with 1400 shite garage bands begging to be added or linked or whatever it was called back then, tough!) I enjoy using Twitter, not so much Facebook, as a wise man/woman once said, "Facebook is the people you went to high school with. Twitter is the people you wish you went to high school with." For the record, it wasn't me (as if) and I have no idea who it was but I see where they're coming from!

I'm not planning on joining anymore, and I don't like the features that many of them employ. When I write posts on either, or even on here, obviously I don't mind people knowing what I think, but I'm not overly fussed about giving out where I'm thinking it from. Step up foursquare, which essentially is geotagging yourself at all times. Magic if you need an alibi, potentially a disaster if it announces you're out, even miles away and burglars take the opportunity. Also as Facebook, which is mildly popular nowadays I hear, does this as 1 feature among many, what's the point?

Moreso, when I read Facebook entries, I honestly don't give a rats ass where these people are. There's a fair chance the more mundane status updates already give up a considerable amount of info. "In Bed, nite xx" yep know where you are etc. Same for twitter, plus if I've just tweeted something rude about someone nearby (as I did today) I don't want someone doing a proximity search (very easy to do) to then point this out so I get some extra attention. I suppose I could be nice, but no damn it, that's not what my 6 followers want!

It's SXSW at the mo, traditionally the birthplace of many interesting stuff such as this, including Twitter and foresquare (if I vary the spelling its bound to be right at least once). That many geeks in a concentrated area is the perfect for several things, mainly Felicia Day doing panels, and launching new apps. So, no doubt by tomorrow there'll be something new again, maybe this time it'll take a photo of you as you post and really give away what you're doing and where you're doing it!

P.S. To the person who decided that a badly timed backspace should work the same as the browser back button... Fuck you. To the person who decided this blogs editor autosaves every time you so much as look at the keyboard, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment