Friday 11 March 2011

Red Nose Day

It's a strange strange day Red Nose Day. I generally find any kind of telethon marathon television program to be a slight chore, but i watch them, occasionally donate. I've even manned the phones for Sport Relief a few years ago (previous call centre experience) so I don't think they're an absolute waste of space.

However, I do find some of the TV slots only a fraction short of emotional blackmail. Some of the <celeb> flew out to <location> to show us the poverty people live in there. I know the poverty a good proportion of the world live in, and it's dreadful, what I don't need is Cheryl Fucking Cole or any other celebrity looking at these people with fake concern before saying that only £5 would do whatever it would do. How much did you flight cost? No doubt you're in as close to a nice hotel as the region can offer, how much is that costing. How's about you stay sat in Geordie land (or 14" up Simon Cowells arse), get someone local people to take the footage, and use the money you wasted getting there looking for some easy publicity towards whatever you're appealing for?

These days also bring out the everyone raise money spirit in offices. No doubt when I go in tomorrow there'll be people in 'funny' wigs, dressed up, offering to have bits of them shaved by their line managers. The money raised is once again all good, but it's always the same old same old techniques and usually in constant streams all day. One maybe two gets something, but when you're saying 'sorry no change' to the 5th person and getting stinking looks, it's just not nice!!!

The looking for publicity things cascades down the ranks too, from celebs down to local level. You can be fairly certain that the people doing the tired fundraising techniques in you're local whatever will be the ones who consider themselves a bit outgoing, consider themselves a bit of a joker, they'll take the chance to confirm this belief to everyone who will listen. Luckily the good cause can only benefit form this, I've never known anyone make a loss!

Some highlights already I've been told to expect are Chris Moyles on radio 1 all day? I'd pay good money if he'd bugger off and never grace the radio again. To be honest ofr all it means to me now, I could easily say that about Radio 1 as a unit. I just see the station as a stream of ego heavy presenters, playing generally shite music. Maybe it's my age.

I wish Red Nose Day as a whole the best of course and hope it raises however much money it needs to for whoever deserves it. But I really don't fancy having it shoved down my throat. Anyway, to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment