Monday 7 March 2011

Collapse into Now, Mrs Browns Boys and pointless HD

Collapse into Now... what a stupid name for an album. No doubt it's clever on a level that I don't get, but to
be, it sounds a bit stupid. But a stupid name does not a bad album make.

Of what I heard prior to the release of new the REM album I wasn't overly excited, but they are my favourite band by a distance ,so I clicked buy on iTunes (no CD sniff sniff) and got ready. I had an approx 45 min car journey out of Cardiff back home so it seemed destiny.

It began, with discoverer, which I'd heard before and didn't overly like. Nothing really changed there, I still don't really like it, maybe it's a grower. But it gets better, much better! By the 3rd song, Uberlin it's going well, the acoustic guitar on this riff is excellent, Oh My Heart lacks a little in the chorus but nips along nice and generally the same can be said for the whole album. There's allot of repeated simple chorus' but.. it's REM. That Someone is You and Blue are outstanding.

Thinking about it a few of the songs have... expressive titles, but they hold together well enough.

I'd heartily recommend the album to anyone, it's not their best, it's maybe not as good as accelerate, but good. Though I am a little biased.

I also quite fancy Elbows album, also out today, but funds say no I'm afraid. If anyone from the band reads this (what??) and wants to send me a copy I'd happily take it! Oh and 2 tickets for the CIA gig would be cool. But this is a blog not a review centre, so other things:

On an unrelated topic, I just saw Mrs Browns Boys on BBC HD on my sisters recommendation. Well I can say, 100% honestly, what a piece of shit. That's among the worst programs I've had the misfortune to sit through in a while, and I've seen Dancing on Ice.

Some Irish bloke dressed as an old woman, reeling off predictable one liners and witty responses to a cast of stereotypes. I felt like it'd feel dated on Dave. I watched it in HD as mentioned above, but it's one of the vast majority of programs that gains absolutely nothing from the upgrade. It feels quite heavily that HD is quite gimmicky at the moment, yes the potential is there and I may as well use it, but I can't say it's 'redefining television' or any of that kind of crap that PR people spout to make themselves sound more interesting.

No doubt programs will adapt and grow into new technology, but at the moment I don't feel I'm gaining an awful lot by watching Richard Hammond grin and present awfully on total wipeout in HD.

No comments:

Post a Comment