Wednesday 10 November 2010

Rugby, football, tennis and a request

I'm Welsh so I love rugby yeah? Well no, not all that much.

I don't dislike rugby, I do like it as a sport. I like to watch international games, I support my nation, I'd even go as far to say I know a good % of the rules and can spot infringements. I'll get carried away in the moment when they are playing, I'll shout at the TV and a rugby day is always a good excuse to meet some friends in a pub. But there are sports I would rather watch.

I didn't get overly excited when Admiral announced they were the new WRU sponsors, while other staff members were almost rolling round on the floor in excitement. I haven't bought a shirt, as I don't really like them although the all blue training top is pretty snazzy, I haven't entered competitions and raffles for the steady stream of tickets that seem to be going round, and I have no intention of starting. Thinking about it the 20,000 empty seats for the (highly expensive) Australia game on the weekend seems to hint at the chance other people like me exist. Or at least at £60+ a ticket in places it's dropped down peoples priority lists.

I like football, I follow my home town club and Arsenal, but honestly if they lose, I don't get upset or worried. Of course I want them to do well, but when Arsenal got done 1-0 by Newcastle, my reaction was, "D'oh, oh well..." I'm not the kind of supporter that wants reflected glory from choosing a team, and believe me I know a fair few who do. I personally don't see how a team I support (Arsenal) beating a team Bob from number 44 supports (lets say Eastborne Borough for arguments sake) is any kind of personal victory for me. I wasn't there, I didn't play, I didn't coach I didn't even pump the balls up.

Although saying that, i do want to get back to reffing. I qualified a few years ago, did half a season then was in a crash and had to stop for a while. Never really got going again, seems such a waste now, I fricking aced the exams too.

I even don't like referring to the team as 'us' or 'we' but I do sometimes find myself falling into that habit. Must do better!!

Don't get me started on some of the local rivalries.. the Cardiff Swansea game on the weekend, some of the vitriol coming out of (mainly Cardiff to be fair) fans was laughable, and I was happy when Swansea won, purely down to that fact!

Honestly, if there was some funked up new rule that came into force tomorrow that dictated I could only ever watch one type of sport again, I'd choose Tennis. I enjoy Tennis far more than Rugby, Football, etc and by quite a distance. I would also love to be a participant in the sport, but unfortunately (weirdly??) the Tennis club sessions in Merthyr Tydfil leisure centre are 2-4 Tuesdays and Thursdays, work dictates that I can't attend as a result! I mean who can go then??

I also quite fancy playing squash, but have nobody to play with (any fellow novices who want to try, comment or find me on twitter!!)

How many people do you think were disappointed Alex Bogdanovic lost in the first round of a 80 point challenger tournament in Germany yesterday, well apart from him, his coach etc, prob only me! To be fair he got to a semi the week before, and lost to the same guy!! At least he took a set this time! Andy Murray plays the 2nd round of the Paris Masters today, I'll be watching with keen interest. Well I wont  be watching I'll be in work but there's be something on the BBC site to tell me the result.

Oh and of course I love the dodgeball, how could anyone not??? Go Hoffmesiters!

Oh and as a footnote, any twitter users I have a suggested follow. QRistmas. A Christmas single is coming out sung by former xfactor winner Steve Brookstein with the proceeds going to UK homeless charities, got to be worth a quid download of anyones iTunes cash? I believe it's a Peter Gabriel cover, I do love Peter Gabriel, maybe we could convince him to do Solsbury Hill, Shock the Monkey or Games Without Frontiers as a b-side?

Anyway, til next time...

Oh and the woman sat opposite me has a pink kindle... didn't know you could get them, they look quite snazzy! (Yes I've used snazzy twice in an blog, my vocab is the same as my daughters, head hung in shame)

No comments:

Post a Comment