Thursday 18 November 2010

Royal Wedding? - Of no interest to me sorry!

Morning world (dependant on your time zone) 

I've had a few days off I know, but I'm back now! Work has come along wonderfully on the house, we now have a driveway and 1/3 or so of a conservatory! Wo-hoo

But anyway, torn between two topics for this blog, but I've gone with the easy option (I'll do the other one later).

So apparently there's to be a royal wedding. Everyone now, hands in your pockets and congratulate them! But honestly, why am I supposed to give a rats arse? I don't know these people, I've never met these people, I'm never going to meet these people, I have no desire to know these people.

The newspapers yesterday were jam packed full of all the latest information, royal experts reaction, background on the couple, blah blah blah. Of course, I've no problem with two people getting married, all the best for them but:

1 - I don't want to have it shoved down my throat by the typical British - over the top, no talent for finding stories of any actual content or interest so they'll just use the old 'celeb' pointless garbage ahead of doing any actual journalism - press.

2 - Don't try and dress it up as anything other than what it is. All this 'it'll help the economy' crap. Sure 500 tea towel printers and porcelain cup painters are creaming it. But honestly, who buys that tat?? It's some rich posh bloke, marrying some rich posh bird so they can make slightly dimwitted but inevitably rich dim posh children. At least (I don't think anyway) their not cousins.

3 - And back to the 'hands in your pockets' snide remark at the top, why expect me (tax payers of the country) to pay for elements of it?? I'm sure two slightly dimwitted posh peoples parents could easily afford the bill, but no, lets take some tax revenue, it's not like the country needs every penny over the next few years.

100s of people get married every week in Britain, I'd wager a good percentage would be both more deserving and worthy of the attention, coverage and indeed contribution.

Hand on my heart, I'm not a royalist. I don't see the point in them, living in the largest council house in the country, getting paid the biggest amount of benefits. Apart from attracting foreign tourists, I don't think they contribute hugely to the UK today, and I'm not sure if it's them or the houses, jewels and settings that really attract the tourists.

I don't want a day off work for this guys wedding, I'll happily go in on whatever day it is.I don't care if it all goes well, obviously I don't wish him any ill, but 7 hours of it on BBC with some other posh bloke commenting on how the queens hat is actually very complex and represents their relations with Denmark and Canada in the 19th Century, is of no interest to me. 

Tweet of the week for me was one retweeted by the always funny Red Dwarf star Robert Llewellyn from @damon_th "Well, that's the Tory Govt in place, the Royal Wedding booked in, when do we go to war with Argentina?"

Funny, but hours after I read a report of how defence cutbacks may leave the Falkland islands a little open to a potential 'visit' from some near neighbours...

No comments:

Post a Comment