Friday 15 April 2011

X Factor!

Good God this is out of season, X Factor is months away yet, but oh well. I actually had 3 ideas for today, bet I'll forget the other 2...

It's hit the news today that the winner before last of X-Factor Joe Mceldry (No I can't spell it, yes I could look it up, no I'm not going too) has been dropped by his record label. For me this just goes to show the show has nothing to do with music.

At the time where he was on the show, he, apparently, had millions of fans, people took time out of their lives and paid money out of their pockets to vote for him and seemingly elevate him to a level where he would sell records and do well. But what happens to these people once the series is over. They are driven into a frenzy to but the amazingly well publicised first single, which in Joe's case just failed to get to #1 for Christmas, beaten (thankfully) by RATM, which incidentally I bought, but after that, more often than not these people fall flat on their face.

I think that in the cold light of day (I'm just rolling with the clichés today!) once there's no glitz, no judges assuring you this person is the best singer since the last one they praised, when people only have the music to judge. Once they get to this point, people realise that these people only got anywhere based on hype, and now... aren't very good.

Occasionally it puts up people who are good. You can't deny Leona Lewis can sing, I quite like Steve Brookstein (the only guy I actually ever wasted cash voting for) even though he doesn't really release stuff any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment