Thursday 7 April 2011

Fallout revisited

When I first played it, I hated Fallout 3. Found it drawn out, dull, uninteresting, unengaging etc. But then I received (at my request) Fallout: New Vegas as a crimbo present. Now essentially it's the same game, but weirdly I really enjoyed NV. It played the same, I think the characters were better (wonderful work from Odo from DS9 on the Mr House voice) but for some reason the game just clicked with me.

This has inspired me, I've gone tearing back to Fallout 3 and started a new game! I'm already doing better at it, as I know what I'm doing far better from the extended NV playing. The character I've set up is essentially the same as my NV character, which is far from how I tried to play 3 the first time. Basically in the space of 90mins I've got almost as far as my entire effort previously, infact I'm a single plot point behind and am further with one side quest.

That has made me think, what went wrong the first time then? Don't get me wrong, I'm still don't think 3 is the greatest thing I've ever played, so far the characters aren't as good, no doubting that in my head, but it's nowhere near as bad as I remember. No doubt something will frustrate me soon enough and I'll revert back to my previous opinion, but for now, game on!

Downside it is distracting me from Top Spin 4, which so far I must say plays wonderfully, but I've found shockingly easy. The AI tactics are predictable and repetitive and easy to counter. Played it online against a similar player and it was awesome though!!

These will tide me over until Portal 2 comes out at least. Can't say how much I'm looking forward to a bit of orange and blue action. The original was a triumph, I'm making a note here huge success (sorry, actually after that I'll leave it there)

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of getting top spin 4 worth a punt would you say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a good game, you just have to ramp up the difficulty to get any challenge out of it

    ReplyDelete