Monday 11 April 2011

The walking dead

I am somewhat behind on this, as it was recommended to me when shown on FX (or some godforsaken little sky channel) in October, but I saw the first episode of the Walking Dead last night. To be fair it was pretty good.

It contained allot of your typical Zombie plot points (woke up from coma, oooh no people, wait there's a zombie),  but seemed to try to focus on human element a little more. Zombie films very rarely make the effort to flesh out their characters too much, as much as I enjoy George A Romeros work, a great character developer he was not, most were just developed to the point where you'd notice when they were eaten, without you really being bothered by it.

For starters I thought it was very reminiscent of films such as, and in particular, 28 days later, which had alot of the same imagery. The hospital, the wandering round on your own, but of course 28 days later wasn't zombies it was infected people! (Before someone corrects me)

The acting wasn't nearly as hammy as I was expecting, even the bloke from This Life and Teachers was good. Generally it's set itself up nicely for a good series, albeit quite a short one at 6 episodes. Saying that 6 episodes, but long ones, last nights was 90 mins (65/70 without the constant channel 5 adverts?) so there's still plenty of time to let the story develop.

So, looking forward to the rest of the series, and apparently there's a 'season' 2 as well (Americanism!)

On the other hand series 4 of Benidorm finished on Friday, which gradually got better as it went. I don't think it ever got as good as series 1-3, it badly missed some of the written out characters and most of the new ones were pretty blah. Some of the stories were a little OTT but don't think I'd mind another series. Just something about it works, Steve Pemberton is without fail excellent.

Go on one more.

2 comments:

  1. There has been a lot of talk about season 2 for a while now but it never seems to get as far as production :(

    The series is based on the series Walking Dead comic novels. The first series followed the first book almost to the letter, so potentially there is a lot more material for them to draw on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I saw a date somewhere earlier, October 2011. But if that's filming or release I have no idea

    ReplyDelete