Monday 8 August 2011

Rogers cup time!

Probably my favourite time of the tennis season is under way, pity it's all played over in North America and therefore at some ungodly hour over here, but its still good!


The Rogers cup has started today in Montreal (the women are in Toronto) (main draw) with a massive 1 British entrant into the singles (Murray) and one team in the doubles (Murray/Murray). Notice a pattern there?


Murray is the defending champion here, having retained the title for the last 2 years and will be looking to level Ivan Lendl's 3-in-a-row record this time, but with the form of Nadal and Djokovic I really can't see it, as much as I'd love him to win it. He'll start probably with a game against Ryan Harrison in round 2. Awkward draw though as his R16 could be Stanislas Wawrinka, followed by Mardy Fish then Nadal in the semi. But 2 wins in a row means you can't count him out. Although it's hard to look past Nadal or Djokovic for the title.


From here it's Cincinnati for another masters (Murray only defending 180 there!) and then the US Open, my favourite of the grand slam of the year. I need to get myself skysports for my xbox again. Plus the football season is starting...

A massive well done though to James Ward for winning a 100k challenger in Vancouver last week, beating Boggo in the quarters (he still deserves to be higher than 344 in my opinion). Ward up to 144, pretty good, I'm assuming he'll be off to US Open Quallies quite soon. Anyone kow when the draw is out?

No comments:

Post a Comment