Thursday 18 August 2011

epetitions

The government have had a (recycled) great idea!! The epetitions website!

It's been running for around a month now and I must say, it has some very valid things on there, but it also appears to be yet another place for the more... special people who live in our society and somehow manage to use a computer despite their limited cranial capacities.

Even the most signed petition to encourage rioters to have benefits removed is spelt bastard wrong!! It states. Convicted London rioters should loose all benefits.. were they tight before????? For God's sake people hundreds of thousands of people will read what you write, especially on such an emotive subject so take 5 seconds and proof read the heading Mr Stephen Mains.

Now I don't hate spelling errors (I make plenty of them) but really obvious ones, or they're vs their mistakes and txt spk/chav speak really grind my shizzle, as I've mentioned before, and this site is full of it.

But that's not my beef with the site, it's also usually broken by traffic volumes and hard to use, but once again that's not what I'm getting at here.

Mainly, it allows people to set up whatever petition they want too, no matter how twisted/Daily Mail the view is. The petition to get the speed limit to 100mph... bad idea, the petition to ban immigration... Nope don't think so, the petition to force Welsh and Scottish governments to abolish free prescriptions as it's unfair on the English... jealous?? Soak rioters with florescent dye (also a victim of the spelling thing may I add), WTF??

Freedom of speech is a great thing, but it does tend to generate these kind of... outbursts.

Generally I think the site is a good idea, it's the same good idea it was under Labour only hopefully will be done better now. It's got some solid valuable petitions on there (such as the Hillsborough one) but my word it highlights some oddballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment