Friday 9 March 2012

I love iTunes

What's that iTunes? There's a new version of iOS available for my phone? How exciting! 5.1 you say? Well of course you can download it and update my mobile, what could possibly go wrong there?

This is the general conversation that went through my head as the usual new software popped up after I plugged my phone into the old netbook and iTunes kicked in. I of course allowed it to continue, but what followed turned out to be a pain in the arse!

Software downloads fail all the time, especially from apple, so it wasn't a massive surprise when after 30 or so minutes of downloading and a brief installation attempt it informed me all had indeed gone tits up and it would now be kind enough to restore the phone to what it was, only there was a problem there too. Things not going well, but then the phone starts to come on anyway and everything's fine...or not, I not have a lovely iPhone 4 on factory settings. No apps no nothing.

Swiftly and with the poise of an IT professional (which I'm not) I restore a backup of my phone made not 1 hour earlier, and after several... dozen minutes of waiting, the phone restores the data and to my surprise everything seemingly goes ok, even the in app data is fully restored to it's previous glory. Even my Temple Run high score (2.3m) remains in tact.

But also, the strangest thing, according to iTunes, I now have 5 gig of memory free, when before it was stacked to the rafters. Funny as well as the new found free space was almost exactly the same as the memory taken up by my... cock biscuits.

I quick trip to 'Music' app confirms it, every trace of an mp3 (or equivalent iTunes compatible format) is gone. So while writing this I've also started slowly adding songs to thee phone from my iTunes library. Which itself has presented brand new issues, I'm skipping past most of it thinking... meh, never listened to it anyway.

So far I've managed to add about 9 songs to the phone, but I am still on C for the artist name, so there's some distance to go yet. But nothing in inspiring me, bad times. I think I need some new music, any suggestions feel free, ooh and to anyone who would suggest Beady Eye or High Flying birds, save yourself the keyboard wear and don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment