Tuesday 28 June 2011

Wimbledon

As regular readers may know (if there are any) I like a bit of tennis (mainly men's to be honest, the women's tends to be 'big beefy US/Russian girl beating up poor 19 year old from Belgium' or something). I'm not a sporty type, I'm an overweight, greying, diabetic about to hit 30 so that's not exactly a surprise, but I was always OK with a racquet but these days, I watch. Mainly this is as I have nobody to play with, I've even signed up to that all play tennis site and... nothing. But that's off topic.

As a result of this love Wimbledon fortnight as the only non clay grand slam in the right time zone to watch comfortably (well work hours is a pain, but you know what I mean). So far this years as been quite interesting, as long as Nadal's foot holds up I can't see it being anything than a 1v4, 2v3 semi line up but here's hoping Tomic can do something after the other 'up n comer' Milos bowed out early.

From a UK perspective, Murray is playing well, he's had a couple of awkward matches in a row and has come through them quite easily. If Nadal is hurt and he get's a Fish semi... I think he's a finalist (I think I got the draw right anyway). The UK expectation doesn't seem to be so bad this year, and I think that's a good thing. Everyone is expecting a Nadal win, with maybe Djokovic or Fed or indeed Murray having an outside shot. It was obvious from the Del Potro game, Nadal can be beaten, so who knows.

It's womens quarter finals day today, so I'm not bothered about seeing it, but tomorrow should be an excellent day, chances are with the top 4 seeds coming through, but I wouldn't mind the semis being Tomic V Tsonga and Murray v Fish!

Never gonna happen.

Good points though, the BBC coverage has actually been pretty good, almost every night programs have been moved/cancelled/delayed to allow for late finishes. If only they held a few more of the rights to 1000s and the like. Although most of them are in the middle of the night to be fair...

I'm still expecting them to be straight on Murray's back as soon as he looks like bowing out though, that's the British way after all, support respectfully while circling ready to lay a boot in!

On an unrelated note I've purchased myself a bit of XBOX 360 Kinect, thoughts to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment