Wednesday 29 June 2011

Kinect - now I finally have one

It took 8 months and a price decrease in excess of 50% (well for what I paid anyway, they still full price shiny new and in a box) but I relented and purchased myself a lovely motion sensor-tastic Kinect for me XBOX.

Gamestation did me a deal on a PSU'd up one for around £60, bargain and I was away. Set up did require a reshuffle of my 2nd living room, but I've set myself up with plenty of room now and usually, after some framing issues it seems to be all ok.

As I've said before I had concerns, not with the technology, it's a clever little thing and does it's job for the most part well. I of course got Kinect Adventures for nada which is enjoyable enough, but not exactly awe inspiring, bringing me back to an initial concern that it could get strangled by shovelware, and looking at the carnival games, biggest loser, cloned sports games etc games that have already shown up, it is creeping up, so I had a go an Kinect Adventures, which is a reasonable tutorial on how to use the gadget, not exactly engaging gamewise though.

So I popped in my vehicle and slid my arse down to blockbuster to acquire more software.

Firstly, one of the biggest draws to Kinect was Yoostar 2. Yes shallow, but lets face it, my pretty little face(!) combined with my outgoing nature and acting skills are never ever going to get me on TV. So this is as close as I'm ever gonna get. I'll be honest, I felt a little self concious, even in an empty room, acting out these scenes, but it was fun, and it's gone on the 'to buy' list. I also think I did a fooking awesome Ben Stiller monologue from the end of Meet the Parents... Sure. I got one question for you. It's can you deal with that!?! Class!

I also got myself a bit of Kinect Sports which is bordering on shovelware, but at times I really enjoyed. The track and field in particular was fun, and quite energetic! The football aspect is pretty dreadful, and doesn't know when I'm kicking the thing much of the time.

I do want an exercise game for it as I'm starting to get properly fat again, when I should be losing!! I am told that Your Shape is the best and EA is a bit pants. So I'll pick that up in the next few days maybe! Or the The other games return to their blockbuster home Friday.

In general use, it was quickly intuitive moving menus and the 'minority report' style moving stuff around menus is good. Voice commands are responsive and accurate, and considering my accent makes me sound like a backwards camp sheep loving villager, but Kinect is down with that. XBOX... Dashboard indeed. 

In general I'm happy with my knockdown purchase, but still feel it needs more, I'm sure more will come, maybe in Star Wars Kinect. I don't think it will ever replace traditional controller, nor would I want it too, standing up to play every game doesn't sound appealing, plus the feeling of a controller is one I like, the feedback and vibration from something physical would suit many games better than air shooting etc.

It also takes photos of you in game, that means no more naked gaming, could you imagine if I accidentally published a pic of me doing javelin with my wang out, doesn't bear thinking about. But then again, unless it's on zoom, would anyone notice....

No comments:

Post a Comment