Monday 26 September 2011

Swansea Bay 10k

Yesterday was the lovely Swansea Bay 10k. My third time in the race and by far the least preparation I'd ever done. I'm by no stretch an athlete, so to try this kind of thing ideally some decent effort needs to be made, however this time things just kept getting in the way and I did 1 run (count it... 1) in the 2 months or so before the event. (Heolgerrig - Beacon Heights via winchfawr road, 4 miles very hilly) So as you can imagine there was a sense of dread as number 3753 took up his position at the rear of the field (where I belong) to run the 6.2 miles ahead.

At this point I'll go into my biggest usual problem running, pacing. I can't do it, I never have any idea how fast I'm going etc, so hight praise for the Nike+ GPS iPhone app. An absolute godsend, kept me informed on pace as often as I wanted, well worth the £1.49 from the app store (I had mine free!)

Anyway, back on point, I started, right calf quite tense and a little sore, couldn't hear the warm up (as could nobody round by me, everyone just kinds stood round looking confused while the first 2500 - 3000 people bounced around weirdly) so just tried stretching the sore bit.

Then bang, we were off... well almost it took me 2 and a half minutes to start, but I was off. I hit the Nike+ app which started the music. First song? 'We're not gonna make it' by the Presidents of the USA. You couldn't write it! It also finished with Still Alive by Jonathan Coulton, quite apt, 'This was a triumph...'.

But it went quite well, I kept pace well for the first half of the race, was on schedule for an hour time, my ultimate goal (aim low, rarely disappointed) until a few niggles kicked in and I had to stop a few times on the way back. But I finished and I finished without any major disasters. The time:

Nike+ says 1:04:43 my chip says 1:05:00 so one of them, in a massively underwhelming 2,400th / 4,000.

Not exactly a write off, but I know I could have done better and if I'd actually trained I could have done well. So I'm frustrated mainly with myself!

I now have 3 weeks til the Cardiff Half Marathon, I need to train, I will do 2:20, it's my goal! Plus I can't make it 13 miles without good prep, it's a physical impossibility! I'm also running it for Velindre if anyone wants to sponsor me, feel free!

http://www.justgiving.com/andrew-driscoll0/eurl.axd/d33ccee2fd79d546ae925c4f9d873bb1

No comments:

Post a Comment